Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Canning Green Beans

One of the first things I learned to can was fresh Green Beans. I grow them pretty much every year in the garden and they are a very easy to grow if they have the room to climb and spread out. The first year I grew them the ground hogs discovered they loved Green Beans and wiped them out in two days. SO if you do have critters around you may want to keep an eye on your garden. I love to add these wonderful green beans with Ham Hock and let them simmer with Onion & Garlic. It's wonderful on a cold Winter Day! But they are great on their own as well. I do not cook or blanch my green beans before putting them into the jars. The pressure cooker process will cook them and I like them to retain some of their texture. If you are using these green beans to something that will be cooked for long periods of time I would suggest adding them later on in the process and just warming them through. Growing Italian Green Beans is also wonderful. They are my favorite Green Bean to eat and cook with! Some other great Green Beans to grow for canning are Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans and Burpees Stringless Green Beans. These are both considered Heirloom Green Beans.


Canning Green Beans Video (Ball Canning )



No comments:

Post a Comment